The building is said to have been constructed in its current location around the Enpo era (1677) as a retreat for the second-generation head of the Iwadeyama Date Family, Munetoshi. It has a plain appearance and was built in the traditional Japanese style of architecture (shoin-zukuri) with a thatched, hipped roof. Later, it was used as a school. The garden was designed by Dokan Shimizu the third of the Sekishu School of tea, who was the feudal clan’s chadogashira (person in charge of tea ceremonies). It uses the backdrop of the honmaru palisade at Iwadeyama Castle as a “borrowed landscape” and is a go-round style of garden with an island in the pond. Visitors can enjoy trees that are more than 300 years old and the changing of the four seasons.
The Great East Japan Earthquake that occurred in March 2011 damaged 30 of the 33 pillars in the main building and collapsed the roof. Though the other buildings escaped destruction, significant fissures cracked the walls. Today, they have been restored and exhibits that speak of the history of the Iwadeyama Date Family are displayed in the other buildings.
In Tensho 19 (1591), Masamune Date changed the name of Iwatesawa to Iwadeyama and built Iwadeyama Castle there. He lived in this castle for 12 years until it was moved to Sendai in Keicho 6 (1601). Today, it is maintained as a park. Features such as a dry moat and remnants of gates show traces of ancient architecture. There is a beautiful view of the streetscape below and Uchikawa River from the ruins of the main honmaru building.
The long-established sake brewery was founded in Meiji 16 (1883). Buildings such as the furnace hut constructed to make sake, the Taisho period home, and the early Showa period chimney stand next to the Historic Yubikan in an approximately 8000 m2 area. The Show Retro Hall, which exhibits various tools, is also located there.
The city of Osaki is famous for producing Japanese sake. There are fun sites to visit around Yubikan, including sake breweries and sake shops. (Photo: Sake Museum)
This roadside station is the largest in Miyagi prefecture and sells locally made products. Why not treat yourself to soft-serve ice cream during a break in your travels?
|Address||6 Kamigawara-machi, Iwadeyama Aza, Osaki|
|Contact||+81-(0)229-72-1344（Osaki City Board of Education）|
|Access||1 min. on foot from Yubikan Station, JR Rikuu East Line|
|Remarks||Entrance Fee: 300 yen 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.; open all year round|
|MAPCODE||317 569 510|
About the MAP CODE
Enter the MAP CODE as the destination into your car navigation system.
*MAP CODE is a registered trademark of Denso Corporation.