The ruins of the castle where the feudal lord of the Sendai Domain, Masamune Date lived are located on Mt. Aoba to the west of the city center of Sendai. Date began construction on the castle in 1601. It was composed of the main honmaru building (including expanded portions), the ninomaru (second central castle compartment), and the sannomaru (third central castle compartment). The stone wall and other areas are well preserved. The castle is an extremely valuable example of castle ruins typifying the Edo period in Japan. Though the original building no longer exists, the remnants of the great hall of the honmaru are found in the ruins of the main building.
Also called Sumiyagura (Corner Tower), it was built next to Otemon Gate at the entrance of Sendai Castle. Though designated a national treasure in 1931, it was burned down along with Otemon Gate during an airstrike in WWII. In 1967, the exterior was reconstructed through private donations, and at present is the only reconstructed building in the Sendai Castle Ruins.
A statue of Masamune Date on horseback entering Sendai Castle was erected on the 300th anniversary of his death in 1935. It was created by a sculptor from Miyagi Prefecture, Toru Komuro. However, due to the escalation of fighting in WWII, the statue was removed and used for military purposes in accordance with the Metal Collection Act. The current bronze statue was restored the day before the opening ceremony for the Tokyo Olympics in 1964.
This is the mausoleum for the first feudal lord of the Sendai Domain, Masamune Date. Kansenden, the mausoleum for the second feudal lord, Tadamune, and Zennoden, the mausoleum for the third feudal lord, Tsunayoshi are also in the same location. This was also destroyed by fire due to an airstrike in WWII, but was rebuilt in 1979 to restore the flamboyant construction of Momoyama culture. The museum displays artifacts excavated from the graves.
Be sure to check out the scenic viewpoints that afford wonderful panoramic views of Sendai. Hirose River is a natural landscape representative of Sendai. It is familiar as the city area oasis and a symbol of Mori no Miyako Sendai.
You can enjoy dining out and souvenir shopping in Aobajo Honmaru Kaikan in The Ruins of Sendai Castle. Highly recommended there is Sendai's specialty “Zunda Mochi”.
|Address||Kawauchi, Aoba-ku, Sendai|
|Access||No. 15-3 bus stop in front of JR Sendai Station; Loople Sendai “Sendai Castle Ruins (Sendai-jose ato)”|
|Parking||Pay parking lot (large buses (30 spaces), passenger cars (150 spaces)|
|MAPCODE||21 583 841|
About the MAP CODE
Enter the MAP CODE as the destination into your car navigation system.
*MAP CODE is a registered trademark of Denso Corporation.